Friday, April 21, 2006

3. Our Divine Origin ... (part II)

A glimpse of divine connection that Naam brings is described in ASSA Rag by 5th Guru Sahib on page 391.


Assa, FIFTH MEHL:

“He does not die, so (being His light) I have no fear of death (will be living even after life on earth). He does not wither (his virtues remain same), so I do not stumble (get enticed by vices). He is not poor (is abundance), so I have no greed (I am satiated).He is never diseased, so I have no disease. 1

The giver of life is our life Himself; and there is no other, only Him (EK ONKAR). When he is the only one, then there is no other Destroyer (a threat to existence). 1 Pause He has no bonds, so I have no bondage. He has no occupation, so I have no entanglements. He has no impurities, so I have no impurities (of mind). He is bliss, so I am ever in bliss. 2

He has no anxiety, so I have no cares. He has no stain (affected by vice and virtue), so I have no afflictions (have become clean). He has no need, so I have no desires. As He is immaculate (pure), so I am chaste. 3

Says Nanak, the Guru clears away doubts and misgivings. (That) I have no separate existence; He is the only One and there is oneness. Before and after (here and there) He alone exists. When I meet him (in a state of being), we are of same color (are similar).”

- SGGS page 391

Naam gives us this divine connection.Witout this connection we get entangled in the sensual pleasure and get diseased as Guru Sahib explicitly says :

"Setting aside the Naam one who indulges in sensual pleasures, even in dreams , has no peace, ; his body become diseased" - SGGS page 240

There is nothing to despair Guru Sahib assures us that :

"The medicine of the Lord's Name is within all of us. Without the Perfect Guru, no one can come to know how to prepare it."

-SGGS page 259